Friday, July 9, 2010

Running Silly or Running Scared?

I'm still getting emails from my devotion published May 31 on finding God's will - you can read it here if you missed it.

We seem to have trouble, as the body of Christ in the modern world, trusting God when facing big decisions. Perhaps people always have.

Today I was reading in Guard Us, Guide Us: Divine Leading in Life's Decisions by J.I.Packer and Carolyn Nystrom.  They had this to say in the prologue:

 "... The redeemed community includes two sorts of people, as does the wider world: those who run silly and those who run scared. In terms of the ancient doctrine of the four temperaments, those who run silly tend to be the sanguine and the choleric, while those who run scared tend to be the phlegmatic and the melancholy. In modern language we would label the two types the impulsives and the depressives.

The impulsives are not thoughtful enough in the service of God, being too hasty and superficial and happy-go-lucky to reach wisdom's full seriousness, while the depressives, feeling that things are against them, are not sufficiently trustful to enjoy wisdom's full stability.  The pervasive fear of somehow being wrong-footed and let down is always with them, and weakens their spiritual life more than they are aware. 

In terms of the classic cardinal virtues, the first type lacks prudence, the second type lacks courage, and both types make mistakes about God's guidance to them by reason of their own particular weakness."

Should be an interesting read.

From there it walks through Psalm 23, showing Christ as our shepherd and guide.

My personality falls in the "tends to run silly" category. But from the time I came to Christ I've had a driving passion to gain wisdom.  The book of Proverbs has long been a favorite book of the Bible for me. So I've searched for God's wisdom and sought its stability.  Even still, I'm prone to run silly.

I'd like a large helping of wisdom please - but can I get the seriousness in a little cup on the side?
Maybe with a cherry on top?

So, I'm curious to know, which way do you tend to run?

Thankful for God's guidance.

4 comments:

  1. I run silly circles around myself!!
    Sounds like an awesome book. Like you, I crave wisdom...wisdom that saturates my core.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting...can we be both? lol...mostly, i would say, yeah....i am running silly. but lately, i have had an occasional running scared moment...zapping my courage to move forward into a new season I know God has waiting for me. I, too, am praying for wisdom above all things :) and thankful for His guidance. Thanks for sharing, sounds like an interesting book! (I've taken a temperament test years ago...and yep, sanguine.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say I'm more prone to run silly over scared - depending! The title of that book is drawing me, I so need God's leading like I need my next breath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 10, 2010

    I definitely run scared! This is very timely, as I just spoke to someone this week about how many decisions I have made based on fear instead of the leadership of the Holy Spirit. I am now conscience of the fear when it is there, and can now - through Christ alone - move past it. We cannot change what we are not aware of!
    In His grace,
    Karan

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.