Thursday, July 28, 2011

Craving God


I sit and I stare at this picture. 

It reminds me that I'm hungry.  Not physically, but spiritually. Not hungry for the simple but satisfying taste of fresh bread, but for a simple yet transforming bite of the Bread of Life.

A fresh piece, just pulled from the loaf. Still warm. With the yeasty smell discernible and the ability to melt what it comes into contact with.

That's what I crave today. To be melted by God.  Into God.  To become infused.

I spend so much time resisting my cravings - cravings for too much of this, forbidden that, or a brand new one of those. I have to be careful not to automatically resist this craving too. Not to decide that I'll indulge it later. Or satisfy it tomorrow.

So as I stare at this picture I drop what I'm doing and reach for the scriptures. The book weighs in my hand like a dense loaf of sweet bread. I open and tear off a bite.

"Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered."

I tend to think blessed are those who do not sin. And yet, this verse says blessed are those whose sins are covered. Who are forgiven.

Blessedness is never something I achieve but something I'm given. Something I'm privy to in Christ. Something I'm gifted with by Him.

Something I'm thankful for.

Something that calls forth in me a desire to please God.

I chew. I swallow, allowing the truth of the gospel to make its way into my bones. 

I invite God to come in and cover me. 

And I look back at the picture of the bread, hoping it will incite in me tomorrow the same craving it did today.


5 comments:

  1. Rachel, I love your description, I love your words. They make me want more, so I will go and pick up my bible and read it again focusing on the bread of life that we are nourished with. Thank you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of Isaiah 55:2
    Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

    His Word - the richest of fare. :) Yum.

    As always, Rachel...beautifully written.

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that verse, Sharon. Thanks for posting it here for me!

    Yes, the richest of fare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I wouldn't or should I say couldn't pass up a taste from that loaf of bread. So should it be with HIS Word.

    I heard a sermon recently talking about the bread and how in Bible times, the bread was the main course. Jesus knew they would understand the importance of relating HIM to the bread. Today, bread is more of a side item along with the main course. And our actions toward Jesus certainly show it. May we get back to seeing the importance of having Jesus, the Bread of Life, in the center of all we do.

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.