Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Advent Day 17

When I think of Advent, I think of a big wooden door -- like maybe one found on a cathedral, or a monastery, or maybe just an old ancient inn. I imagine Jesus on the other side of it ... knocking. My heart beats faster. I imagine a key turning the lock ... I hear the lock release ... then I see the knob beginning to turn, and I know that it is the hand of my Lord turning it from the other side. I realize I'm about to come face to face with Him.

Can you feel the excitement ... sense the anticipation? That's what Advent is all about. "Advent is the latin word for "coming" or "arrival." Here are today's advent readings:

Matthew 2:5-6 (NLT)
“In Bethlehem in Judea,” they said, “for this is what the prophet wrote: ‘And you, O Bethlehem in the land of Judah, are not least among the ruling cities of Judah, for a ruler will come from you who will be the shepherd for my people Israel.’”

Isaiah 53:9 (NLT)
"He had done no wrong and had never deceived anyone. But he was buried like a criminal; he was put in a rich man’s grave."

2 comments:

  1. The 2nd verse makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how much God loves us. I have been reading your posts about Advent. I have not commented much but this one really spoke to me. God really loved us enough to make a way for our salvation, healing, and a home in heaven and so much more. "What A Mighty God We Serve".
    AliceE.

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.