Thursday, December 18, 2008

Advent Day 18

When I think of Advent, I think of a big wooden door -- like maybe one found on a cathedral, or a monastery, or maybe just an old ancient inn. I imagine Jesus on the other side of it ... knocking.

Revelation 3:20
- Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends."

As I imagine further, my heart beats faster. I picture a key turning the lock ... I hear the lock release ... then I see the knob beginning to turn, and I know that it is the hand of my Lord turning it from the other side. I realize I'm about to come face to face with Him.

Can you feel the excitement ... sense the anticipation? Can you imagine the beauty you are about to see? That's what Advent is all about!

Psalm 24:7 - Open up, ancient gates! Open up, ancient doors, and let the King of glory enter.

"Advent" is the Latin word for "arrival" ... referencing the arrival of Christ in the world at Christmas, and later at the second coming. I'm posting advent readings here through Christmas Day, so I invite you to join me for the last week of readings.

Matthew 2:7-8 (NLT)
"Then Herod called for a private meeting with the wise men, and he learned from them the time when the star first appeared. Then he told them, 'Go to Bethlehem and search carefully for the child. And when you find him, come back and tell me so that I can go and worship him, too!'”

Isaiah 53:10 (NLT)
"But it was the Lord’s good plan to crush him and cause him grief. Yet when his life is made an offering for sin, he will have many descendants. He will enjoy a long life, and the Lord’s good plan will prosper in his hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in.