Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sad news requires a mop

Hey Friends.  Thanks to everyone who participated in this month's devotional carnival - there are some powerful stories and truths in those posts!  And I, for one, needed to read them this week.

This week I am on a self-imposed writing retreat, planning for my next book. I'm spending the entire week alone, out-of-town where I don't know a soul. And last night, as I sat by myself in a Mexican restaurant eating a taco salad while reading a book I'd brought along for research, I got news that my grandmother has just been diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. So it helped me to read some of your posts last night. To let my sisters in Christ speak the truth of God's stability into my soul.

It was also great fun reading what each of you obsess over keeping perfect!  I say that in the nicest possible way of course. It fascinates me how the human mind wants to have a sense of control ... and how it will zero in on certain things and exercise extreme power over that one thing just to feel that sense of control. The timeshare I'm staying in this week has no mop that I can find. What's one supposed to do when one gets news that her grandmother has a deadly illness, and she can't mop?! (see this post for context)  Good thing I brought my red toenail polish along.

Now for the announcement of this month's carnival winner.

True Random Number Generator Result from www.random.org = 4  That means Heather Deaton, you've won the new Francine Rivers novel! Send your address to me at rachel@proverbs31.org. But be patient as I won't be able to mail it out until I get home next week. And I'll have to mop my floor first thing when I get back ...

Thankful my stability isn't dependent on my own ability to control things.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Rachel, I'm sorry to hear the news about your grandmother, but how perfect of God to send you the encouragement you need through all the devotionals this week.

    I pray your time away to write will be a productive time for you. And oh do I understand about the mop - to clean incessantly is a coping mechanism for me too!

    Blessings ~
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am sorry to hear about your grandmother but pray that God will give you the comfort you need and your grandmother a healing. I'm doing a study with Nichole at Living Life on Purpose @ http://livingmylifeonpurpose.blogspot.com/. She's using Joyce Myers book, Eat the Cookie and Buy the Shoes. What an eye opener I got today.

    Will keep you in my prayers for your grandmother and your new book.
    Blessings, AE

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 20, 2010

    Praying for you and your family- and for your grandmother especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 20, 2010

    I'm praying for your family and you. God is amazing, He knew what would be coming your way and He sent His encouragement...a month ago when you chose stability as the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Will be praying for you all. ~Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.