Monday, June 4, 2012

Ideal Working Conditions, A "Creativity Elixir"

I just read this post by productivity/lifestyle guru Tim Ferriss: The Creativity Elixir: Is Genius on Demand Possible?

Tim says yes, it's possible ... if you discover the right conditions for you.




Y'all know my one word this year is CREATE. So I'm about to embark on an experiment to find out what my own creativity elixir elements are. 

Will it contain South American tea, Argentinian red wine and writing from 1:00 to 5:00 am each day, like Tim's personal plan? Oh Lord - I hope not. Then again I do tend to be a night owl.

And I just might try that yerba mate tea. I do know this, I can't drink fully caffeinated coffee and write. It jacks me up too much. I can't sit still and focus. Some days I can do one cup of decaf ice coffee, but I'm really better on decaf tea.

My personal creativity elixir will most likely contain musical white noise, another of Tim's elements. The one thing I've already discovered is that part of my elixir is classical baroque music. I think best with no lyrics, and prefer instruments like the violin and oboe. I discovered that while writing It's No Secret - I probably should've thanked Pandora on the acknowledgements page.

When I really have to buckle down and concentrate or get writing done, I head straight for Pandora's Classical Baroque channel. It works for me.

Do you have any go-to tricks for when you really need to concentrate or create?  I'll report back as I discover more of mine.

I view understanding how I work best - including my personal creativity/productivity enhancers - a vital element to stewarding well the gifts God has given me. Think about that, read the parable of the talents, and maybe you'll decide to join me on this quest to determine your ideal working conditions, and then to create them consistently.

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 09, 2012

    Helpful post. I am seeking what I can do to become more productive and focused.

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.