"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." ~ Wayne Gretzky
Gretzky was taking about hockey. A Hall of Famer, he's been called the greatest hockey player ever. But I also think he was talking about life. To accomplish anything, we first have to try.
That means there is a risk of failure. But to not try is pretty much an assurance of failure.
- You'll keep 100% of the pounds you don't try to lose.
- You'll live with 100% of the clutter you don't pick up and put away.
- You'll learn nothing from 100% of the books you never read.
- You'll miss responses to 100% of the prayers you never pray.
- You won't remember 100% of the verses you never memorize.
- You won't complete 100% of the classes you never sign up for.
One hundred percent of the products you don't make will not sell. Not a single person will read a single blog post you don't write. And no one will come to a party you never throw. Because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Gretzky also said, "Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and it's toll on success and happiness is heavy." So when I feel I'm lacking in success happiness I have to pause and ask myself ...
Is that because I'm not getting around to taking any shots at it?
Take a shot at it today. Take another shot tomorrow. And another next week.
Sure, we might miss. We might even miss a lot. But odds are, if we keep shooting, we'll also make a few.