Do you feel not quite good enough much of the time?
Avoid starting projects for worry you’ll fail? Miss deadlines because you’re still working to get it just right? Fear others seeing less than your best? Do you think "average" is an ugly word?
If so, it's likely you are plagued by perfectionism. I know; I've been there. And I shared an important biblical truth about this in my devotion today at the Proverbs 31 site. I elaborate further on it in chapter 7 of my new book It’s No Secret: Revealing Divine Truths Every Woman Should Know.
I suspect a majority of us struggle with perfectionistic thinking from time to time, at least in certain areas of our lives. So I’ll be talking about perfectionism all week on this blog. I hope you’ll stay with me for it because while we tend to praise successful perfectionists, the reality is perfectionistic tendencies hinder most of us.
Today I just want us to get on the same page in defining perfectionism. After all, it’s good to want to do a job well. It’s natural to desire to be successful. Perfectionism just takes those fine thoughts a little too far. Perfectionism refers to a set of self-defeating thoughts and behaviors driving you to set, and to expect to reach, excessively high or unrealistic goals.
And as I pointed out in the devotion, it usually causes us to hyper-focus on our appearance and performance rather than our motives and character. God is more interested in our heart and character. Plus, it often adds emotional instability to our lives.
Tomorrow I’ll talk about several common causes of perfectionism. And later this week we’ll look at how perfectionism affects our relationships, and how to overcome it’s strong grip.
But today I have an exciting announcement for you. As a lover of words, books and all things bookish, I want to gift one of my readers with a brand new Kindle e-reader with Wi-Fi!
If you aren’t one of the nearly 1 in 10 people already reading on an e-reader – here is your chance. If you have an older version – here is your chance to upgrade. And if you’re already using a Kindle 3 – here is your chance to get someone the coolest Christmas gift.
HOW TO ENTER …
1) Leave a comment on this post naming a specific way your perfectionism raises it’s ugly head and you’ll have a chance to win.
2) Spread the word about this perfectionism series and giveaway – Tweet, Face Book, tell your book club, small group or scrapbooking club, etc. – then leave another comment telling me what you did. You’ll receive a second chance to win.
3) Buy a copy of my new book It’s No Secret and leave another comment here telling me where you bought it, and you’ll get a third chance to win. (No need to forward me your receipt – I trust you!)
4) If you’ve read the book, post a favorite line or describe a meaningful-to-you section of it and you’ll have a fourth chance to win.
5) Post a helpful review of the book at one or more of the online sites listed on my “books” page. Then leave a comment telling me where you reviewed it and you’ll get a fifth chance to win.
* You have one week to enter – I’ll announce the winner on Tuesday, October 5th.
I realize I’ve asked you to spend money purchasing a book for those last three chances to win. So I’ll be throwing in a $10 Amazon gift card for the winner. You can use it to buy an e-book for your new Kindle, or to buy anything else at Amazon. That’s a perfect giveaway in my eyes - hope you win!