Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Facebook, or Rather a Heart, Claims Another Marriage

This past week I heard of (yet another) marriage destroyed by infidelity when one spouse reconnected with a past love on Facebook.



The husband was the guilty party in this case. But knowing some of this couple's past struggles, I can safely say she wasn't blameless in the dissolution of this marriage. Not that this fact excuses anything.


          "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?"
~ Jeremiah 17:9 (ESV)

Only when we see clearly the role our hearts play in sin can we understand the role our circumstances have in it. Our struggles and temptations often trigger sin, but they never cause it. The origin of sin is always our heart and it's sinful desires.

The actions of others, external pressures, even our biology, these have an impact on our behavior via our hearts. But we cannot blame our circumstances when we sin - Adam and Eve tried that unsuccessfully (see Genesis 3).

Adam tried blaming Eve, and blaming God who gave him Eve. Eve tried blaming the snake in the garden (aka - Satan). While God punished the snake, He also held both Eve and Adam responsible for their individual choices.

So selfish desires lie within our hearts. They lead to sin. And sin leads to death.

Death of a relationship. Death of a family.  ...eventually physical death - unless we're in Christ and will be raised with Him.

That's why we can't always follow our heart, as the common advice goes. But we can always safely follow the Spirit.

I realize "always follow your heart" is appealing advice. I'd like to always follow my heart too. But if we want to follow our hearts, we must first make sure they are anchored in Christ, His Word, and His Spirit. Not in our hormones, or our wants, or the pleasurable feelings a private message on Facebook can bring.

And that anchoring is pretty much a daily thing. Sometimes, hourly.

9 comments:

  1. This one really speaks to me as my parents just ended their marriage of almost 39 years due to infidelity. It doesn't matter what age it happens at...it's still painful. In ways it definitely feels like someone died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that, Kristina.

      Sad.

      Delete
  2. Good Points...so good. That is my favorite Chapter of Jeremiah. God used it to reveal the deceitfulness in my OWN heart when I thought it was about others many moons ago! Well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fond of Jeremiah myself. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. AnonymousMay 30, 2012

    I am very lucky that my parents taught me how to fall in love with my husband a little more every day! There are some days we disagree but we always talk it out and never go to bed angry! My mom taught me that communication is one of the keys to a good marriage! Over the years my husband has become my best friend! If your not communicating marriage can be a very lonely place! Thats what fb is a way to communicate and reconect with people!Communication key to your marriage by H.Norman Wright is a great book if you looking to reconect .

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to this couple as I know of other accounts personally where this has happened. Thank you for sharing this verse also. A clear reminder that when our hearts are not anchored daily, it can be filled with deceit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me angry and breaks my heart that Satan got another one...I don't think we realize that we must work on our marriage everyday...it is hard work, but we must. It is easy to take our spouse for granted, especially when we are busy. Pray for God's strength and wisdom...

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.