Saturday, November 28, 2009

Serving the least of these

Thanks so much for stopping by today after my devotion A Thirsty Woman. That encounter in that cafe touched my heart deeply, and compelled me to look for more ways I can bless Christ by blessing those "less fortunate" than me.

If you're feeling that tug on your heart today too, here are a few ways you can respond.

Samaritan's Purse is known as the Operation Christmas Child ministry. Each Christmas they gather donations of shoe boxes filled with toys and supplies for poor children. You choose if you want to prepare a shoe box for a boy or a girl, and what age group. And then they use the giving of the gift to the child as an opportunity to tell them about Christ. It's a simple and fun project you could do today. If this interests you, Follow this link.

But Samaritan's Purse does so much more than Op. Christmas Child. Year round they provide for the needs of impoverished communities across the world. They provide everything from food for the hungry and clean water for the thirsty, to medical care for the disabled, and teachers for those who don't know how to read or write. You can choose what you want to donate towards. Following my encounter with the thirsty woman, I couldn't hardly make donations to Samaritan's Purse fast enough! If you're interested in learning more, follow this link.

I attended Regent University, on the grounds of the Christian Broadcasting Network. They have a similar relief ministry called Operation Blessing. Their purpose is to break the cycle of suffering, and you can participate by following this link.

And if you've been around my blog long at all, you've heard me talk about Compassion International. They're a Christian organization that works with local churches through out the world, and donors like you and me, to lift children out of poverty one at a time. With $38 a month, you can sponsor a child of your choosing. I sponsor a little boy in Ecuador. His life will never be the same because of it. Mine is different because of it too --we write letters to each other every couple of months. It's a precious thing. If you've ever thought about sponsoring a child, explore it further by following this link.

If you're like me, you've done quite a bit of shopping this weekend for loved ones. I'm hoping you'll also take time to pause and spend a little time or money serving the needy - and thereby serving Christ. These three organizations I mentioned are all Christian-based, all help the needy, and I've had personal experience with each of them. I believe them all to be trustworthy and effective. But don't underestimate the simple gift of noticing someone around you that needs a hand -- needs you to reach something at the grocery store they can't reach from their wheelchair, or needs you to help them open the door, or just needs a drink of water ... or four.

Sweet Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. What a refreshings post. I'm in awe of God...thanks for sharing, I'm inspired by it.

    Give thanks to God from whom all blessings flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been by for a while wanted to see what was going on. I didn't read the devo yet but now I will. :) Sounds like you had a lot going on for Thanksgiving, but also sounded very blessed.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi RAchel - very interesting findings in the happiness book.
    Okay, i'm not trying to stalk you - but i can't figure out if you're getting my emails - so email me, melandtheboys@gmail.com and chitwoodmelanie@yahoo.com. Try both due to some major computer problems.

    ReplyDelete

Chime in.